We're excited to announce that Lynn Hershman Leeson premieres !Women Art Revolution at IFC Center in New York on Wednesday, June 1. Tickets go on sale this Friday.
!Women Art Revolution (!W.A.R.) is a documentary that combines interviews, artwork and rarely seen archival film and video footage, collected over the past 40 years, to detail the evolution of the feminist art movement in the United States from 1968 to the present. The film ties the feminist art movement to 1960s anti-war and civil rights demonstrations, showing how historical events, such as the all-male protest exhibition against the invasion of Cambodia, sparked the first of many feminist actions against major cultural institutions. !W.A.R. also details major developments in women's art during the 1970s, including the opening of alternative art spaces such as the AIR Gallery in New York and the Los Angeles Woman's Building. Chronicling the work of activists in recent decades, the film focuses on the Guerrilla Girls, the Women's Art Coalition and other similar groups, as well as the publications and spaces they've engendered.
Written, directed, narrated and edited by Leeson, !Women Art Revolution will be distributed nationwide by Zeitgeist Films. Special events throughout the film's IFC Center run include introductions to the film by the following artists and activists:
- June 1: Kathleen Hanna (6:00pm and 8:00pm)
- June 2: Howardena Pindell (2:00pm), Carolee Schneemann (6:00pm), Bob Alotta (8:00pm)
- June 3: Janine Antoni (noon), Howardena Pindell (2:00pm), Joyce Kozloff (6:00pm), Martha Wilson (8:00pm)
- June 4: B. Ruby Rich (6:00pm), Guerrilla Girls Frida Kahlo and Kathe Kollwitz (8:00pm)
- June 5: Howardena Pindell (2:00pm), B. Ruby Rich (6:00pm)
- June 6: Carey Lovelace, Connie Butler (6:00pm)
- June 7: Carey Lovelace, Faith Ringgold (6:00pm)